Why do you think the Monaco Convention Bureau should be involved with environmental issues?
Sandrine Camia : “Alongside with H.S.H. the Prince Albert II, the Monaco Government Tourist and Convention Authority as all their local partners in this sector are fully committed to sustainability and the protection of the environment. The consequences of climate change and natural disaster are changing the context of our activity. We have to act and find solutions for a more responsible approach to tourism.“
Why a company should choose to organize a « Green Event »?
SC : “The Principality expresses on a daily basis its experiences and scientific recommendations on events all around the world in order to raise awareness amongst decision makers.
H.S.H. the Prince Albert II is doubling his efforts for the protection of nature on the international scene. Meanwhile His government and the Monegasque community are really pro active and efficient in regards of sustainability within the country.
Monaco welcomes international entities in order to ascertain and consolidate the research on marine environment.
Therefore, a company wishing to organize a “Green Event” will logically choose the Principality of Monaco because it is the place entitled to sustainability.”
What are the commitments of the Principality regarding sustainability?
SC : “Numerous entities in different sectors in Monaco work for a better environment and its protection. For many years now, Monaco’s entities (like the Scientific Centre of Monaco, the Monegasque Association for the Protection of Nature, the Oceanographic Museum, the Larvotto Marine Reserve, the Red Coral Reserve, construction sites under HEQ policy, …) undertake many activities that excludes the fact that Monaco is “surfing” on the “Green Movement” in an opportunistic way.”
Here after some of the commitments of the Principality:
Reduction of CO² emissions due to:
1. A government aiming a reduction of its CO² emissions by 30% before 2020. Sptember 2011, a reduction of 15% has been achieved;
2. A Town Hall certified ISO 14001 entailing a major water and energy reduction;
3. An eco-responsible congress centre certified ISO 14001.
4. A resort of hotels decorated with Michelin Stars, 61% of the hotel rooms are certified « La Clef Verte », « Earth Check », « Green Key », active in reducing their water and energy consumption, waste management and its reduction.
5. Most of our restaurants prefer seasonal food, local ingredients, and even organic food as often as possible. The Red Thune from the Atlantic Sea, an endangered species, has been abolished from all restaurant menus and propositions.
6. Equipment and printing material are adapted for the client's needs in order to limit waste.
7. Use of recycled and recyclable equipments as often as possible: for congress and conferences, name tags, booths, blades, etc. can be produced ecologically and are possible to be reused.
8. Waste management (brochures, bottles, magazines and newspapers, etc. …).
9. A perfect infrastructure to reduce the maximum of the CO² emissions by using public transport (hybrid and electric busses). There is also the opportunity to rent an electric bike, car or scooter.
The Prince Albert II Foundation of Monaco
10. … works for the environmental protection and the promotion of sustainability on an international basis. The Foundation offers to compensate your carbon foot print, which has not been reduced during your stay in the Principality, with its program MCO². One of the numerous projects certified UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) and chosen by the foundation will be financed.