Monaco's Larvotto District – A Brief History

07/08/2012  Leisure

The district known as Larvotto, which runs alongside the sea by the Avenue Princesse Grace, has become "The" area for the summer season



It is amusing to note that a document from the Palace's archives dated 8 October 1699 mentions that only two people lived in the area at that time.  This marshy land by the sea was regarded as "unhealthy" because of its spring and its mosquitoes, which were responsible for a variety of diseases!

That's why, until the end of the 18th century, most of the population (61 Monegasques and four people from La Turbie!!) lived higher up, in the more fertile " Moulins" ("Mills") area, situated on the site of what is now the Place des Moulins.  Previously, there was a small cove in the area.  The sea went up to the edge of the railway track and there was a beautiful beach, known at the time as the "Mouettes" ("Seagulls"), which was named after a former bathing establishment.  Later, on the initiative of Prince Rainier III, the current Larvotto Beach was created.

The Boulevard du Larvotto was built in 1956 to replace the railway line (the railway arrived in Monaco on 12 October 1868.)  The name of this road, " Larvotto," derives from the word "Revoto," which was found on a map dating from 1602.  It was also known as "Ruovoto," meaning "the hollow."  In the 18th century it was referred to as "Prevotto," then "Larevotto," finally becoming "Larvotto," the current name of this district, an area that is very popular with tourists in summer.

 

Information/source/Per Carrugi/Gabriel Gabrielli/Taurus editions Nice 2000


Number of views : 1005