Monte-Carlo Casino and Opera House

Monte-Carlo Casino and Opera House

It was built in 1893 by Charles Garnier, the architect of the Paris Opera House. Its marble paved "atrium", surrounded with 28 Ionic columns made of onyx, gives access to the Opera Hall which is entirely decorated in red and gold, with bas-reliefs and sculptures.

For more than a century, its stage has been the setting for international operatic creations, prestigious concerts, and exceptional ballets. Its series of "Gaming Rooms" are marvellously decorated with stained glass windows, sculptures, and allegorical paintings.
The Casino will close for major renovations - the first time in its 145-year history - and reopen in 2010. *During its closure, Casino gaming will relocate to the Sporting Monte-Carlo.)

Access Map
Place du Casino
Tel : + 377 98 06 21 21
Website : www.casinomontecarlo.com et www.opera.mc
Visit duration: 40 minutes.

Restricted access – over 18’s only.
Proof of identity required.

Entrance fee: €10

 »Close

Monaco Cathedral

Built with the stark white stones from La Turbie in 1875, this Roman-Byzantine-style building houses the burial places of past sovereigns, including Prince Rainier and Princess Grace.  »Read more

Fort Antoine

This fortress built at the beginning of the 18th century, is now an open-air theater; it was rebuilt in 1953 under the initiative of Prince Rainier III being damaged in 1944.  »Read more

Sainte- Dévote Church

This 11th century votive chapel is dedicated to the Principality's and Princely family's Patron Saint.  »Read more

Saint-Charles Church

This Renaissance-style building with its bell tower rising 30 meters skywards, was inaugurated in 1883. Nineteen stained glass windows lighten up its nave, where the gilded chandelier comes from the former arms room at the Princely Palace.  »Read more

Prince's Palace (State Apartments)

Guardian of an ancient tradition, this Palace located in a unique setting upon the "Rock" of Monaco,was built on the site of a fortress erected by the Genoese in 1215. Today the splendors of this Palace can be admired by all, such as its Italian-style gallery and its 15th century frescoes; its Lou... »Read more

Palais de Justice

This Palace was built in 1924, on the initiative of Prince Louis II and inaugurated on May 1st 1930. It is built out of sea tuff, a grey and porous stone, which was also used for Monaco's ramparts. This stone contains many small pebbles, and sometimes mollusc shells.The bust of the Sovereign Honoré II, date... »Read more

Chapel of Mercy

Located in the Old Town, this chapel where the inaugural stone was blessed in 1639 in the reign of Prince Honoré II, Prior of the Brotherhood of Black Penitents, is built with just one nave.  »Read more