Until 16 March 2014, the Museum is offering an undersea parade and free admission for all children in fancy dress
It's Carnival time at the Oceanographic Museum, which is offering an undersea parade, as sea creatures know how to use disguises to defend themselves or make themselves inconspicuous to predators. Under the water, it's Carnival time all the year round!
The Museum is organising activities during the school holidays. For the winter 2014 half-term holidays, two new activities are on the programme:
Discover the disguises of the sea!
Why does the leaf fish change colour? Why does the comet fish "disguise" itself as a moray? At Carnival time, the Museum's activity leaders will show visitors how sea creatures disguise themselves and use colour - an unusual visit, where you can find out about undersea camouflage techniques and mimicry!
• Every day: at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. > Meet in the Aquarium Tropical Room (Aquarium Salle Tropicale )(Level -2)
The collections' fancy dress ball
Open your eyes! The festive spirit and magic of Carnival have invaded the historical collections! Juggling balls, a fairy hat and flower necklace are hidden in 12 unexpected places.
• Ground floor and first floor
... and not to be missed, as usual:
Around the Lagoon: An unmissable event – discover the incredible beauty of tropical species and the secrets of the Museum's largest aquarium.
• Every day: at 11 a.m. > Meet at the Aquarium (Level -1)
The Stroking Pool: Gently and with respect, for a special chance to touch the sharks - slide your hand into the water and stroke the back or side of a Pyjama Shark or striped Leopard Shark.
• Every day from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. > Temporary exhibition area (Level 0)
The Tactile Pool! (supplement payable)
Touch a starfish, feel the prickles of a sea urchin, stroke a baby Mediterranean shark …
• From 15 to 21 February and from 10 to 16 March – every day: at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.
• From 22 February to 9 March – every day: at 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
> Meet in the Entrance Hall (Hall d'entrée)(Level 0)
The cinema of the sea
The mysteries of sea creatures on a big screen. A breathtaking sight!
• Every day, except 15/02/14 and 10/03/14: from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. > Meet in the Lecture Room (Salle de Conférences) (Level 0)
There is also a competition on Facebook – "Become the King of the Undersea Carnival"
All you have to do is post your best marine-themed fancy dress costumes on the Museum's Facebook page … the wearer of the most original costume will be declared the winner and will win two tickets for a VIP visit behind the scenes of the aquarium.
The Undersea Carnival!
Free admission for children in fancy dress
Offer valid from 15/02/14 to 16/03/14 for children from 4 to 12 years of age in full fancy dress