Above the Casino, the
“French-style” Boulingrins Gardens offer a magnificent view over Place du
In the centre of
the gardens, a surprising mirror reflects the majestic Casino de Monte-Carlo.
The gardens feature a succession of fountains, pavilions and flowerbeds right
in the heart of Monte-Carlo. The garden was laid out in 1865, at the same
time that the Casino and Hotel de Paris were built.
A little history...
Back in the
seventeenth century, boules game was been played on the paths which cross
through the gardens. The pathways were frequently used by Brits, who
named this place the “green”. Eventually, “bowling green” became “Boulingrins”.
The gardens have undergone numerous transformations, the last of which was
completed in 1989, following the construction of an underground car park cut
out of the rock and covered with concrete paving. The current gardens were laid
out on this paving to offer a pleasant stroll through the jets of water and