The UEFA Champions League is an annual football tournament organised by the Union of European Football Associations, bringing together the continent's top clubs. For matchday 6 of this season's competition, and the final round of qualifying for the last 16, AS Monaco will continue their European campaign at the Stade Louis II against Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday 11 December 2018 at 9 pm.
Currently bottom of Group A, the Monegasque club's long winless run in Europe complicated their campaign in this group. The Red & Whites have been unable to bounce back and at least secure a place in the Europa League, and will exit the competition after Tuesday's match.
• Runners-up in Ligue 1 last season, Monaco reached the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League in 2016/17, but finished bottom of their group last season with two points in six matches.
• Monaco have not won any of their last 12 matches in European competition (3 draws,n 9 defeats), since a 3-1 home victory against Borussia Dortmund in the quarter-final second leg of the UEFA Champions League in April 2017.
• Monaco are the last French side to reach the final of the UEFA Champions League (in 2004).
• Fourth in the Bundesliga last season, Dortmund are competing in their third consecutive Champions League group stage, and their seventh in eight seasons. The German side have already improved on their 2017/18, when they finished with two points after six games. They also reached the last 16 of the UEFA Europa League, losing to Salzburg.
• After opening their campaign with a win at Bruges, Lucien Favre's side beat Monaco 3-0 in Germany on matchday 2. They then hammered Atlético 4-0 at home, equalling their record win at home in the UEFA Champions League, before going down 2-0 against the Spaniards in Madrid.
• Borussia Dortmund are currently 2nd in Group A.
• The two sides previously met in the quarter-finals of the 2016/2017 competition, when Monaco registered their last two wins in Europe. The Ligue 1 outfit won 3-2 in Germany, with Shinji Kagawa scoring Dortmund's second goal.