The Museum, of contemporary design, houses rare stamps
depicting the Principality’s postal history, as well as all the documents which
have been used in the stamp-printing process from the first Charles III stamp
in 1885 to the present day.
The Museum of Philately and Coinage is open
daily from 10 am to 5 pm (6 pm in July and August). It sells currently
available stamps and coins issued by the Principality.
A little history
Established by Sovereign Ordinance of Prince Rainier III next to Espace
Léo Ferré in Fontvieille in December 1995, the Museum of Philately and Coinage
opened to the public in January 1996 and celebrated its twentieth anniversary
Every two years, the
Museum hosts the international MONACOPHIL exhibition, which attracts the most prestigious
philatelists from around the world.
The first Monegasque stamps were issued by Prince
Charles III in 1885. The Principality was then a member of the Universal Postal
Union and issued stamps under the Convention Concerning the Customs Union and Neighbourly
Relations concluded with France on 9 November 1865 pursuant to the Treaty of 2
The first Monegasque coins were issued in January 1640
by Prince Honoré II, with reference to the Nice system introduced by the Duke
of Savoy. In October 1643, Louis XIV granted Honoré II the right to freely
circulate his gold and silver coins in France, on the condition that they were
aligned to the corresponding French coins. This rule was extended in 1865 to
cover all Monegasque coins until the introduction of the euro on 1 January
2001. Today, “Monegasque euros” circulate throughout the euro zone and the
Principality has an annual quota under the same conditions as all other member
countries of the zone.
The Museum is a first-rate cultural institution, and
also a commercial operation. Its shop sells Monegasque stamps and coins as well
as other related products such as books, enamels, scarves and so on. A mail
order service has been set up; catalogues are available from the Museum.
From 1 September to 30 June, 9.30 am to 5 pm
From 1 July to 30 August, 9.30 am to 6 pm
Children aged 12–18, pensioners and students: